The National Park Service will celebrate its 100th anniversary in 2016. In honor, the NPS will increase their typical nine fee-free* days to 16.
- January 18: Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
- April 16-24: National Park Week
- August 25-28: National Park Service Birthday
- September 24: National Public Lands Day
- November 11: Veterans Day
There are 409 NPS sites nationwide but only 127 charge an entrance fee. In Virginia, 21 properties are managed by or affiliated with the National Park Service. Nearly 23,000,000 people visit them annually.
Virginia’s Most Well-Known National Parks:
- Appomattox Court House National Historical Park
- Assateague Island National Seashore
- Colonial National Historical Park
- George Washington Memorial Parkway’s Great Falls Park
- Manassas National Battlefield Park
- Petersburg National Battlefield
- Shenandoah National Park
*Note that “fee-free” simply removes the entrance fee, not camping or other fees.